Mobile chicken coops are often used by poultry farmers who do not have a large plot. Such designs can be easily moved from place to place. Thanks to this, birds in the summer can always be provided with green fodder. Portable chicken coop can be purchased already prepared or made independently.
Mobile Coop Design
Simple portable poultry houses are arranged quite simply, which can be seen in the photo. Similar designs have several tiers:
- the top one is made of wood;
- lower tiers are upholstered with a grid.
Also poultry houses are divided into two zones. In one of them, the hens hatch eggs, and in the other, the birds rest. Often there are roof houses that can be installed on the lawn. Due to this, the bird gets the opportunity to be in natural conditions.
Types of poultry houses
Portable structures can be divided into several categories according to the following features:
- transfer method;
- the size;
- type of construction.
According to the method of transfer, they are divided into structures on wheels and poultry houses, which can be transferred by hand. On the presented photos you can see such products.
The fence allows you to not watch the birds while walking. Due to this, it is not necessary to additionally equip the area in which the chicken coop is located.
By size, the described constructions can be divided into poultry houses, which are used for several birds and for products designed for more than 20 individuals. The first option is more convenient, but not suitable for everyone.
Advantages and disadvantages of portable chicken coops
Before purchasing or creating a portable chicken coop out of wood, you need to consider all the pros and cons of such structures. It is also important to look at the photographs of the constructions in order to understand which one can be installed on your site. Such products have the following advantages:
- The mobile chicken coop can be moved to another location at any time. If the birds walk on fresh grass, they will be more healthy. Moving should be done about once a week. This is sufficient for the disappearance of bacteria that begin to accumulate at the location of the house. Also on the new site, birds can find additional food in the form of beetles and other insects.
- When creating a house of original design, you can decorate the site, making it part of the landscape.
- Portable products are much easier to clean than stationary designs. If there is a water source at the site, you can move the coop closer to it.
- Mobile chicken coops can be intended both for the summer period, and for use in the winter.
- Portable chicken coops can be easily done by hand. And if you decide to purchase such a structure, you do not have to spend a large amount of money.
But the described products have disadvantages. The main disadvantage is that they cannot accommodate as many chickens as is necessary for a large farm.
Technology to create a chicken coop
Before you create a mobile chicken coop with your own hands, you need to make a drawing in which the dimensions of each structural element will be displayed. Construction of a small house is as follows:
- First, the formation of the frame. For this, two triangular frames are created from a bar with a section of 2x4 cm. They are connected by hewn boards that have handles for moving the structure.
- After that, the side walls are created. They need to be made of slats with a section of 1.3x3 cm. A grid with small cells is stretched between the walls. Overlap between the tiers can serve as plywood. It is necessary to make a hole for the hens to which the stairs will lead. One of the side walls should be removable. It will be located at the entrance to the house. The second wall should be created from the wall paneling.
- At the next stage, it is necessary to divide the second tier into parts. Approximately one third of the entire space should be separated. It is here that perches should be located. The remaining area is intended for the recreation of birds.
- Then the roof is made. It can be made from plywood sheets. At high temperatures, the roof can be raised. It is worth remembering that one of the parts of the roof of a portable chicken coop must be removable. This is necessary so that, if necessary, you can clean the structure.
- At the last stage, the exterior of the house is treated with varnish. Such compounds are able to protect the tree from moisture and insects.
After this, the creation of the house can be completed. At this stage it is necessary to think about ventilation.
Lighting and ventilation in the hen house
A portable chicken coop is equipped with ventilation so that the birds are not hot or cold. If a ventilation system is not created, chickens can get sick. It is also necessary to get rid of the unpleasant smell in the hen house. It is important to remember that chickens need sunlight. Its absence may adversely affect the health of the bird.
During the creation of structures should take into account the climate in a particular region. Rain and strong wind can damage the structure. For example, if you poorly secure parts of the chicken coop, with a strong wind, they can detach, which will lead to destruction.
If you live in this particular area, you should consider several features:
- To prevent drafts, it is necessary to make a structure in which there will be no gaps. In this case, do not forget about the need to open the house for airing.
- When installed on a hill, moisture will not accumulate in the hen house. When installed in a valley, even after a small rain, chickens can be in the water.
- To protect the birds is to put a mosquito net on the windows.
Standard portable house allows you to keep about 10 chickens. When they grow up, half must be removed from the chicken coop. In winter, you can keep chickens on the second tier. To protect against the cold mesh is closed with insulating materials. At the same time in winter you can move the chicken coop to the barn or garage.
Chicken coops on wheels
Build a chicken coop on wheels is quite simple. All work is almost the same as when creating a small triangular design:
- First, the scheme is created. It should contain information about the size of all elements. Without a drawing, it is impossible to create a solid construction correctly, since it is impossible to keep in mind the location of all the parts and their dimensions. It should be noted that some experienced builders may carry out the work without drawing if the structure is small.
- At the second stage, the frame of a mobile chicken coop is created with wood. It has a rectangular shape and can reach a height of 2 meters. It should determine in advance where the closed part of the chicken house will be located. It is on this side and the wheels will be fixed. This is due to the fact that when you move a structure, you have to lift one side of it. If you install the wheels under the part of the chicken coop with nets, it will be difficult to move it because of the greater weight of the closed part. The frame of the chicken coop on wheels should be created from bars with a section of 7x5 cm.
- Then you need to secure additional structural elements that are necessary to create walls and partitions. According to the drawing, it is necessary to arrange them in such a way that the chicken coop is divided into two main parts - an open space enclosed by a grid, and a closed structure with a window.
- Regardless of the size, it is necessary to create several compartments in a closed part of the hen house. In the smaller section the perches will be located, and in the larger section the birds will rest. Also at this stage, the construction of the walls of the structure and their insulation, if you plan to use the chicken coop in winter. In the wall, which will separate the open section of the chicken coop from the closed one, you need to create an entrance that is small in size. To him you need to take the ladder for the birds.
- In the next step, you need to make the roof of the chicken coop. It should open so that you can clean the structure from the inside if necessary. It is best to arrange the parts of the roof on the hinges. During such work, you should not forget that the design must be reliable and not have weak points.
- After that, the open part of the chicken coop is sheathed with a grill. It is important to choose a grid with small cells. Often used products with a width and height of cells equal to 2 cm.
- When creating such a chicken coop, the nets are fixed on top and on the sides. Thanks to this, birds are able to walk on the grass.
- After that, you should take care of creating handles for the transportation of the chicken coop. They must be securely fastened to the sides of the structure. Also at this stage and join the wheels. They should not have a small diameter, as they can simply sink into the ground under the weight of the hen house. But do not install too large wheels, as this will lead to the fact that the transportation of the structure will occur with great effort.
To the coop could become part of the landscape and not spoil the impression, you can paint it. It is important to take care of the protection of wooden construction elements with special compounds that protect against moisture and pests.
Some landowners decorate chicken coops with plants that are located in niches created near the roof of the structure (as in the photo). You can also stylize the design under the fairy-tale hut. But in most cases only paint is used to decorate the chicken coop.