The Japanese are great masters in growing vegetables. They are skillful breeders and brought a lot of rarities, famous throughout the world not only for amazing taste, but also exorbitant price. Such is the Yubari melon.
Description of Japanese melon Yubari
The Japanese believe that the real King Jubari should be:
- perfectly round;
- have a well-defined mesh pattern and resemble ancient Japanese porcelain vases;
- have a soft orange pulp, very juicy.
The taste combines sharpness and sweetness, spice of cantaloupe, juiciness and sugar content of watermelon pulp, light but long pineapple aftertaste.
Melon King Yubari - a hybrid of two cantaloupes, they are otherwise called musk melons:
- English Earl's Favorite;
- American Spicy.
From each of them the hybrid variety bred in 1961 took the best. The weight of melons is small - from 600 g to 1.5 kg.
This is a powerful plant, the stems and leaves of which do not differ in appearance from the rest of cantaloupes.
Features of growing
The cultivation area for the delicacy is very limited: the small town of Yubari, located near Sapporo (Hokkaido Island). The Japanese, famous for their high technologies, organized ideal conditions for its cultivation:
- special greenhouses;
- automatically regulated humidity of air and soil, which varies depending on the stage of vegetation of plants;
- optimal watering, taking into account all the features of the development of Yubari melon;
- dressings correlated with the requirements of the melon at different stages of growth.
But the main condition that gives the melon Yubari an unforgettable taste, the Japanese consider special soils in the place of its growth - they have a high content of volcanic ash.
In Russia, such soil can be found only in Kamchatka. But you can still try to grow a Yubari melon on your plot. The taste is likely to be different from the original, since careful adherence to the cultivation technology in an ordinary greenhouse cannot be achieved.
Seeds can be bought in foreign online stores and from collectors of rare varieties in Russia.Important! Cantaloupes are heat-loving plants. In regions with a cool climate, they do not have time to gain enough sugar, which is why the taste suffers.
Recommendations for growing:
- This variety ripens late, so it is grown through seedlings. In the southern regions can be sown immediately in the greenhouse. Melon seeds of Yubari melon are sown a month before they are planted in separate cups filled with fertile, loose soil. Conditions of seedling maintenance: temperature is about + 24 ° С, irrigation with warm water, good lighting and 2 supplements with a weak solution of fertilizer with microelements. Council! Experienced gardeners advise soaking melon seeds before sowing for 24 hours in sweetened wine - the taste of the fruit will improve.
- The soil for growing Yubari melon must contain many nutrients, be loose and have a reaction close to neutral. It is fertilized, contributing to 1 square. m bucket of humus and 1 tbsp. l complex mineral fertilizer. But best of all this plant will feel on a warm bed prepared in advance. For a heat-loving southerner it is very important to have full coverage throughout the day. Choosing a place to land, it must be considered.
- Seedlings are planted when the soil warms up to + 18 ° C, the distance between plants is about 60 cm. Beforehand, it is quenched during the week, gradually accustoming to fresh air. This technique is necessary when growing plants in the greenhouse. Melon does not like damage to the root system, so the landing is carried out by the method of transshipment. Planted plants are watered and shaded until they take root.
- If you plan to grow Yubari melon on a trellis, you need to take care of its garter to the stretched ropes or pegs. If it is grown in spreading, a piece of plastic or plywood is placed under each fruit that forms to protect it from damage and possible rot. Important! Planted seedlings pinch over 4 leaves and leave for growth only 2 of the strongest escape.
- Water is watered with warm water as the topsoil dries. After the formation of the fruit watering is stopped, otherwise they will be watery. Overflow cannot be allowed - the melon root system is prone to decay. When grown in open ground during this period, it is necessary to protect plants from precipitation by constructing temporary film shelters.
- At the beginning of the growth of cantaloupe need one feed nitrogen fertilizers, during flowering will require phosphorus and potassium.
- In cool regions, plant formation is needed. After the formation of 2-3 ovaries, the whip of the Yubari melon is pinched, retreating 1-2 sheets. Also form them in open ground.
Gather melons when they are fully ripe. The signal is a change in color, the appearance of a mesh on the peel, an intensified aroma.Important! To improve the taste of the variety you need to lie down for several days.
The cost of a melon Yubari
Among all the delicacies, King Yubari is in the first place in value, overtaking black watermelon and ruby grapes. Even the insanely expensive white truffle for these indicators can not be compared with it. The reason for such a high price - especially the mentality and lifestyle of the Japanese. They are accustomed to appreciate everything perfect and beautiful, and the Yubari melon in this sense is a standard. An important role is played by an unusual taste and a small growing region. In other places, it is simply impossible to grow it: it does not reach the original in taste. Delivery of ripe melons to other parts of Japan has appeared quite recently. Prior to this, an exotic fruit could be bought only where it was grown - on the island of Hokkaido.
In Japan, it is customary to give delicacies for various holidays. Such a royal gift indicates the material well-being of the giver, which is important for the Japanese. Usually melons go on sale for 2 pieces, with a part of the stem, which is not completely cut.
Begin to ripen Yubari melons in early May. The price of the first fruit is the highest. They are sold at auction, which makes it possible to raise their value literally up to heaven. So, in 2017, a pair of melons was bought for almost $ 28,000. From year to year, their price is only growing: limited production, in which only 150 people are employed, creates an insurmountable deficit. Thanks to the cultivation of this exotic berry, the economy of Hokkaido Island is very stable. It gives 97% of the profits from the agricultural sector.
All ripe melons are quickly bought up by wholesalers, and from them they are already available for retail sale. But even in a regular store, this delicacy is affordable for not every Japanese: the price for 1 piece can vary from 50 to 200 dollars.
Those who certainly want to try King Yubari, but do not have the money to buy a whole berry, you can go to the market. A cut slice of delicacy costs much less.
Such an expensive product is just a sin to start recycling. However, the Japanese make melon Yubari ice cream and caramel candy, used to make sushi.
Melon Yubari - the first in a series of exotic delicacies, characterized by high price. Not everyone will get lucky to get to Hokkaido in the season of its collection and try this exotic fruit. But those who have their own plot can try to grow a Japanese sissy on it and compare its taste with other melons.