Strawberries require attentive care. Failure to agronomic conditions of its cultivation threatens the emergence of various diseases. Unfortunately, not all of them can be treated - you have to destroy the affected berry bushes, and sometimes the whole beds. Pests also cause great damage to plants. Although it is difficult to completely secure the plantations, but the treatment of strawberries in the fall against pests and diseases will significantly reduce the yield losses of the next season. Gardeners do not always pay attention to the signs of the destruction of strawberry bushes with various infections, and its tender berries and leaves to taste to many pests. Often, they are the cause of the loss of most of the crop. It is important to know about them, and proper care and timely preventive work will help protect strawberry bushes from diseases.
Fusarium and late blight
Strawberries show signs of fusarium and late blight. The disease is fungal, manifested in the brown color of the leaves and petioles, the edges of the leaf blades bend upward. Fruiting is reduced, and with the death of the fibrous roots, the plant dies.
The disease is not cured, the affected strawberry bushes have to be destroyed, so it is better to try to prevent it with the following measures:
- seedlings taken in proven nurseries;
- every four years, the bushes of garden strawberries should be transplanted to a new place, otherwise their roots will no longer receive sufficient nutrients and are easily exposed to various infections;
- seedlings are less prone to disease if planted in late August or September;
- it is useful to plant strawberry roots with a growth stimulator before planting, and to plant the soil from fungi with a solution of iodine before planting.
The photo clearly shows the affected bushes.
The disease is easily detected by fluffy bloom on brownish spots that appear on strawberries. A fungal infection usually occurs during the period of frequent rains and very quickly switches to neighboring berries, and then it affects the entire bush. Fruits with stains should be collected and destroyed. However, if the leaves and petioles are damaged, the whole strawberry bush is to be destroyed.
Preventing gray mold will help:
- the use of agrofilm on the beds - weeds will not grow under it, and the fruits will not touch the ground;
- Strawberries should be sprayed with a 2–3 percent Bordeaux mixture or iodine solution even before flowering - 10 drops per bucket of water;
- should not be too densely planted seedlings;
- it is possible to cut off part of the leaves on strawberry bushes - then they will be well ventilated and ripen faster;
- growing under white agrofibre will reduce the chance of getting sick.
White or brown spotting
Fungal disease in the beds of strawberries, which is spread by spores. Its occurrence is characterized by small brown spots on the leaves of strawberry seedlings, which gradually merge, covering the entire leaf. He turns yellow, and then dies. The infection quickly affects neighboring bushes.
In order to cope with it, you need:
- to spray the beds and strawberry bushes with a 4% solution of Bordeaux mixture, including leaves;
- before processing strawberries, it is necessary to cut off all the dried leaves and burn them, because they spawn mushroom spores, then pour the bush under the root with iodine solution;
- Great importance is the choice of quality seedlings and care for her.
Symptoms of the disease are expressed by twisting the leaves into a tube. At the same time, their color changes from green to purple. A white bloom appears on top of the leaves. The disease disrupts the process of pollination, resulting in the formation of deformed fruits, also covered with bloom. Changing the taste of strawberries. The disease can be seen in the photo.
For the prevention of strawberry from powdery mildew and its treatment, the beds are treated with copper sulphate solution. Well helps spraying a solution of iodine in water. Its effectiveness increases when milk is added. Regular treatment of strawberries from diseases and pests by this tool reduces the likelihood of their occurrence.Important! Iodine vapor is poisonous, so you need to respect the correct ratio of components.
On the video you can see how to handle strawberry bushes.
One of the most common pests of strawberries is the nematode. Most often it affects young strawberry bushes, laying eggs on its leaves and in the kidneys. After two weeks, the hatched larvae turn into adult individuals - small white worms up to one millimeter long. Infected strawberry bushes can be identified by some of the features:
- redness of leaf stalks;
- peduncle deformity;
- red spots on the leaf plate;
- too small berries or their absence.
Treatment against nematodes
To exclude the appearance of this pest, it is necessary to select healthy seedlings, and before planting it is necessary to disinfect it, keeping the strawberry bushes for a quarter of an hour in hot enough water - 45 degrees, and then in cold. This procedure will harden the plants, increase their resistance to adverse factors and activate rapid growth and development. It is also good to water the beds with iodine solution.
A good preventive measure in the care of strawberries will be autumn activities:
- cleaning strawberry beds from diseased plants and weeds and their destruction;
- Digging of beds with the introduction of hydrated lime or processing them with iron sulphate.
A small dark gray bug wintering in the ground under strawberry leaves, and in May it gets inside the buds, laying eggs in them. It can be clearly seen in the photo.
The hatched larvae eat it away from the inside and remain in it in the form of a pupa, which by the middle of summer gives a new generation of pests. They destroy the strawberry pulp, then hide back for the winter.
Effectively help in the fight against the beetle spraying strawberry bushes with a solution of dry mustard or infusion of wood ash. Good result give processing infusion of bitter pepper.Important! For better adhesion to the leaves, all the shavings are added to the laundry soap.
Spraying the beds with strawberry bushes from pests should be carried out before it blooms, when the buds have just appeared. In the summer, re-treatment. You can shoot weevils from the bushes, just shaking off the spread film. An effective preventive measure will be the autumn digging of strawberry beds.Attention! It is not necessary to plant strawberry bushes next to the raspberries, as the weevil is their common pest.
A small white butterfly with two pairs of tiny wings eats the juice of strawberry leaves, and lays eggs on their underside. The larvae stick to the leaves, forming a cocoon. From them then leave adult individuals. In one season, the whitefly gives up to four generations, and winters in the soil, under strawberry bushes. An effective way to combat it is to use a mulch film on the beds.
A dangerous pest that affects the strawberry bushes in May, during flowering and fruiting, is a bronze hairy - a small black beetle. He eats leaves and branches, multiplying rapidly. In the fight against it use:
- deep loosening and digging of the soil;
- burning raw straw;
- collection of beetles by hand.
When a pest appears, the strawberry bushes shrink and the leaves shrivel. Its dimensions are very small. Feeding on cell sap, they multiply rapidly and produce up to several generations over the summer. Soon, the mites colonize the whole bed, and when transplanting bushes, strawberries are transferred to a new one. Wet, warm weather is especially favorable for their reproduction.
Protecting strawberries from strawberry mite includes the following actions:
- in spring, in dry weather, it is necessary to clean the strawberry beds from plant residues and burn them;
- Strawberry bushes need to be treated hot, up to 80 degrees, with water, and then fed;
- every 14 days spray with a solution of colloidal sulfur;
- it is useful to treat all strawberry beds with Bordeaux mixture;
- effectively destroys the strawberry mite infusion of onion peel, this method should be used several times with an interval of about two weeks;
- at the end of the summer, you need to mow strawberry bushes and burn the harvested grass, and water the bed and feed it in;
- Before planting, it is necessary to arrange a hot bath for seedlings for a quarter of an hour, and then cool.
A thin web appears on the bushes of strawberries, enveloping its leaves. It indicates the appearance of a spider mite that feeds on the cell sap of stalks and strawberry leaves. Gradually, its growth slows down, fruiting decreases, bushes die.
At the initial stage of the lesion an effective remedy will be the treatment of strawberry bushes with an extract prepared from a mixture of wormwood and tobacco. If this is not enough, you need to treat the beds with karbofos.
Aphids on strawberries
Small insects can be seen immediately, as they cover all parts of the plant. Rapidly multiplying, the aphid populates all the neighboring strawberry bushes, causing enormous damage. When it appears:
- strawberry leaves curl and dry;
- flowering and fruiting bushes slows down;
- the deformation of the berries occurs.
The pest does not tolerate the smell of garlic, so the garlic brew helps in the fight against it. It is prepared in cold water and aged for several days. They cultivate strawberry bushes and the soil around them. An excellent remedy for aphids is a solution of dry mustard, as usual, with soap.
The pest lays eggs in the ground and winters there. Both he and his larvae eat the roots, causing the strawberry bushes to dry out slowly. Medvedka multiplies quickly and causes very high damage to the crop. To protect against it you need to use all available methods:
- you should try to lure the birds to strawberry beds with the help of feeders;
- for arranging traps in the beds, they bury containers for bait;
- You can lure insects from the hole with soapy water.
Yellow-brown small insects feed on the cellular sap of strawberry leaves, as a result of which the bushes wither and die. Eggs are laid on the lower leaf blades; over the summer, five generations are hatched. In winter, thrips hides in the soil under strawberry bushes.
Spraying strawberries every week with infusions of dandelion, orange peels or chamomile decoction helps in the fight against the pest, starting before its flowering.
They appear in large quantities at high humidity and eat berries and young leaves on strawberry bushes. The pest hides under the leaves during the day and winters in the soil.
Get rid of slugs will help:
- covering of beds by agrofibre;
- mulching with sawdust and wood ash treatment;
- spraying with saturated sodium chloride solution.
As a protection of strawberry bushes from these insects, plants with a pronounced odor, such as wormwood, mint, garlic or onion, will do. They can be landed between the beds or around them. For the treatment of beds, solutions of ash, mustard, and wormwood are also used.
strawberry pests respond well to infusions and decoctions made from home remedies. To resort to chemical remedies is worth it if the problem is too running. The video will tell about the processing of strawberry bushes.
The wireworm is a small worm, it can be removed by treating the leaves with a solution of lime, potassium permanganate or dry mustard.
Snail's favorite delicacy is corn flour. At the same time, it is destructive for them, which makes it possible to use flour as a protection for strawberry bushes.
For breeding larvae of silkworm butterflies, you can use strawberry bushes with kerosene.
To fight with the May beetle, it is necessary first of all to destroy its larvae, which are hidden in the depths of the dung heaps. They are digging them up in autumn so that all the larvae will freeze over the winter.
Placed around the beds with strawberries sweet bait will get rid of pesky wasps.
Bright strawberries and their fragrant smell attract birds. They are scared away by a few plastic bottles on their pegs.
Strawberry diseases and pests are easier to handle at the initial stage. It should regularly inspect the bushes and beds, carry out preventive measures and in the fall and spring, in time to remove the affected leaves or bushes. With proper care, strawberry beds will delight rich harvest of sweet berries.